- Vote in local elections for the best candidate
- Vote in congressional elections for the best candidate
- If your state is a swing state, vote the lesser of the two evils. If not, vote for third party.
1. should be obvious. Try to help your community out
2. Is similar, try to help us not have a totally nutjob congress
3. Is the controversial one. It’s should be clear why the lesser of two evils is important in swing states: Less evil is always better than more evil. We cannot afford more evil.
Third party is better than not voting because it helps bring change within the system. There is a process called Party Realignment in which political parties try to attract fringe groups by shifting position. A noticeable number of, say, Green party votes would help shift the democratic party a little to the left. This hardly legitimizes the voting system because you’re not voting for one of the two main parties, but still creates small change. In addition, this provides 3rd parties with more viability in the future.
This was my short answer.